Writer, author, wine lover
I trained in journalism on an old fashioned typwriter at Wellington Polytechnic in 1989.
- I currently work as a wine writer and update this website every Friday.
- I work as a wine advisor at Regional Wines & Spirits; writing and tasting wines from around the world on an (almost) daily basis.
- I am on the judging panel at the 2019 Marlborough Wine Show.
- I have judged at wine shows regularly since 1995; mostly in New Zealand and also in Australia and South Africa.
- I hold the Wine & Spirit Education Trust’s highest qualification, the Level 4 Diploma.
- I write for Good magazine, NZ Winegrower, Drinksbiz, Capital magazine and www.joellethomson.com
- I wrote my first wine column in 1994 and am the author of 16 wine books (published by New Holland and HarperCollins), including 10 annual wine guides.
- I regularly host wine tastings for private and corporate groups.
- My teaching spans many years at the New Zealand School of Food & Wine in Auckland where I taught certificate wine courses (both New Zealand and the WSET – Wine & Spirit Education Trust).